Saturday, February 02, 2008

Where are the athletes with chronic disease????

A quick vent...so I just got a new laptop and have been playing on the Internet all day, mostly searching for other athletes with RA. Well, I am sure they are out there, but must just be as frustrated as I am that the only info/posts/blogs about RA seem to be by people who are...well, kind of depressing. Now, ok, I've been there. I've been in pain, unable to move, depressed, scared about the future...it's not that I'm not sympathetic, and it's not that I don't realize I'm probably fairly lucky in the scheme of things. It's just that I'm not a typical RA sufferer, and I'm not a typical athlete, and I'd really like to find other people who understand my drive but also my limitations. Because it's frustrating to have to explain to my athlete friends why no, today I just can't lift, but tomorrow I might be just fine. Or no, today I'm not running, but yes, I still plan to kick ass in the next marathon.

1 comment:

Carey said...

Hi! I just saw your article. I am an athlete and have had RA since I was 16. I am 46 now. Not suer you are still getting your comments because I see your article was in 2008!