Monday, March 02, 2009

Snow day!

Never have I wanted a snow day as much as today. Not even when I was a kid. I was waking up every hour and 15 minutes on the dot last night. I'd get up and check Andra and then lie awake for a little bit worrying that it wasn't snowing enough. At 5am my phone rang with the message that in fact there WAS enough snow! Nice. So I spent the day sort of showing my mom the ropes. I decided to have her try the bottle for the 2 feedings I'll be gone for. The first was weird...I wanted to give her 2 ounces of formula, then burp, then 2 ounces of breastmilk. Well, the formula was fine, she chugged it, but once she had time to think about it, I think she was confused and mad about the breastmilk in a bottle. That didn't work, she cried and then went to sleep for a little bit. (She and I seem to share the personality trait where we get overstimulated easily and the best defense from that is sleep.) I nursed her about an hour later. Then a few hours after that we tried the bottle again, I think it was 2 ounces of formula mixed with an ounce of breastmilk, no breaks! It worked fine, she chugged it all at once and then passed out. My mom is good with her (though slightly annoying when I'm around too, but...) and took my suggestions for what to do when she starts fussing, versus real crying. Except for the fact that I just don't want to go, I feel fine about going in to work tomorrow. Luckily it's state testing week so our schedule is all weird. I have to proctor the tests for 4 out of the next 6 days, and I managed to make tomorrow one of the days I don't -meaning, there is no hurry to get into school since the tests don't end til 11 and my first class (out of just 2 per day this week!) isn't til 11:25. So I think I'll get up as if I had to go, feed Andra earlier than I have been, and see how long I think it'll take me to get out of the house. But I won't actually leave til 9:30 or so, so I can feed her again before I leave. I'll be home by 3, so it's max 6 hours I'll be gone. I've left her for 3 hours before, no problems, I just think LEAVING is going to be hard!

Didn't work out today. Will try to keep up my Tuesday core class even though it will mean another hour away. But...I know I need to.


Natalie D said...

I know you will fit everything in! Good that you had yesterday as a snow day and today to go in a little later to kind of ease back into it. You'll get the hang of it and do great.
Do you think they'll even notice when we are gone for the day? It's 3pm right now and I've hardly stimulated my little guy. They're so little!

jsmarslender said...

I hope your first days back are a smooth transition. I know what you mean - hoping for a snowday. I taught in Wisconsin for four years before moving to South America and I'd lay in bed at five in the morning willing the phone to ring. So glad that your mom flew in to help out for a bit. Good job running too!