Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Doctors

We went into the city today to have Andra's hemangioma evaluated by a dermatologist our pediatrician recommended. We had the consult, then were told that the office had mis-informed us about his accepting our insurance. Everyone else in his practice took it, but not him. Ok, well, he was very clinical and not so personal anyway, so we then went to see another (female) doc whom we liked much better! Both recommended laser treatments to speed the involution of the birthmark. It could take up to 10 years on its own, less than 5 with laser, and probably better results. Given its size and prominent location on her little forehead, we went ahead. I wasn't expecting the treatment to begin that day, but since they could fit us in and we were there, we did. It took all of about 15 seconds, during which they basically zapped it with a pen-sized laser. A little scary, but we'd known what to expect. I've had a wart on my hand similarly zapped, so I know what it feels like - it hurts, but only during the 15 seconds. Still..my poor baby. She, of course, was napping, and did NOT like being woken up that way! Sounds like we'll have those treatments every other week, for at least 10 treatments. Yippee. Did I mention also that I hate driving into the city, and I'll have to take her by myself for most of them given my more flexible work schedule?

She was good today though...we definitely changed up her schedule on her, so she was more cranky than usual tonight, but during the day she was a gem. Before her appointment, I had my WedMD interview. We had to go to this studio, and it was a little intimidating. Very professional, like, OK, this is real? Guess I was expecting it to be a little bit low-tech. But they sent me to make-up and the host doctor guy had cue cards all made up with my name and stuff. They were interviewing different people with RA all day. I think the deal is that WebMD will have a bunch of these short clips on the website soon highlighting how people are living with RA. There was a "yoga" girl, a mom with RA, a mom whose little girl has JRA, and, according to the printed schedule, I was the "exceptional fitness example!" Ha! Although if I think of myself as someone with a crippling disease, I guess I do fit that title. I just tend not to think of myself that way. At any rate, Andra slept right up until we should have been done with the inteview...if everything had gone according to schedule. As it was, she woke up hungry (understandably, it had been 4 hours which is unheard of in the morning for her) and squawked right in the middle! So we had to retake part of it after Fred hustled her out for a quick walk in the 60 degree NYC weather. But she let us eat lunch in a deli and walk back to her appointment, remained on the verge of a breakdown until we got out of the waiting room into the exam room, and slept in the car on the way home.

My reward for this was a massage tonight by my friend who's in massage therapy school. She has amazing hands. I'm the type who likes to FEEL my massage - if it doesn't hurt a little bit, it's not worth it. More often than not I've left massages feeling frustrated, not relaxed! Luz's are NOT that way. Plus she always asks about the pressure, more, less? So she doesn't leave it to me to speak up, which can be awkward. She's taking a pathology class this semester and has to do a "project" on someone with a disease: ME! Lucky me! Lots of massages, and focusing on my arms. Who'd have though you could get a half-hour massage on just one arm and still not feel like you wanted it to end??? Since my wrists don't bend (I think I have about a 40-degree range of motion...I don't even know what normal is anymore, but I'm guessing close to 180 - if you comment, can you leave me a degree estimate of your own?), the tendons and muscles in my forearms never get stretched out. Imagine running and never stretching your calves - eventually, ouch, right? I hadn't even really noticed, but now - I notice. It was absolute heaven.

Of course, even though I snuck out of the house thinking Andra was asleep, I'm pretty sure she woke up right after and cried the whole time. Fred won't tell me (smart) but...well, I know. I tell myself they both just need practice together, and that will only happen if I go out, but it's hard.

Long post. Andra hasn't woken up again, poor thing, so I'm taking that as a safe cue to go to bed.

4 comments:

X-Country2 said...

If your friend needs more message
"projects", you go ahead and send her my way. :o)

Good luck with Andra's hemangioma!

Michelle Simmons said...

That's awesome about the free masage! So cool.

I think my wrist bend back about 80 degrees. 90 if I push them back.

RunningMama said...

How did WebMD find you? Sounds pretty cool! Did you like the make-up? I've never had mine done professionally and always wondered what it would look like. And, I'm the same way with massage. I like it to hurt.

Angela and David said...

Friends in massage school are the best!

My wrists bend back about 100 degrees if I push them, 90 if I don't.