Sunday, May 03, 2009

5k PR!

Here's the best I can do at a race report:

Mile 1: Went out too fast (7:20) but it's downhill a bit so, ok. 2 women passed me that I didn't think should have, but I was wrong.

Mile 2: Includes a short but steep uphill so I knew I had to watch it. Must've been about an 8:30 mile as I remember the time being close to 16:00.

Mile 3: Lots of debating going on in my head here. No big hills so I figure I can go sub-8 BUT it'll hurt. But "it's supposed to hurt" (thanks, Michelle!). And if I go 8:10 it'll hurt just as much but without the PR. So I just try.

Last 0.1: At mile 3 I think my watch said 23:40 or so so I knew I would PR! Saw Fred and Andra, gave 2 thumbs up, and Fred said I was the 7th woman (LOVE small races!). Final time had me at 24:22 (7:50 pace). So that's 17 seconds off my 2007 PR! I'll take it. I had a goal of setting 3 PRs before Andra turns 1. I now have 2.

I was also 2nd in my age group (30-39) and got a little trophy! Andra went up with me to claim it.

Lessons learned:
I can run in the rain.
Temperature makes a difference...55 today, 75+ last weekend, 2 minute difference.
Mile markers, a watch, and knowing the course makes a difference. I was willing to push today because I knew exactly where I was, physically and time-wise.
I'm not in bad shape.
I'm doing ok!

I have a super cute kid:


13 comments:

Natalie D said...

you did awesome!!!! way to go!!!

Leah said...

Yay! Nice job!!

Michelle Simmons said...

Woohoo! Way to make it hurt!

I'm running a 5K next weekend. I'm sure I'm going to kill myself trying to run hard. ;) Will let you know how it goes...

Mnowac said...

Nice job!!! That's great. I love races when it's in the 50s, temp makes such a big difference for me.

jsmarslender said...

So happy for you! Smart race!

RunningMama said...

I used to go blind into races...not knowing the course at all. But, this year I've started learning about the courses and I really think it makes a big difference. I think paying attention to splits helps, too. As well as not lying to myself that "I don't really care about my time." Great job with the PR and keep up the good work!! 2 more PRs to go!

RunningMama said...

P.S. I love small races, too! I'll take any dinky trophy they'll give me!

Allison Chapple said...

Awesome, Clare!!!

H said...

congrats on the PR!

Angela and David said...

Great job! This is the first I've "raced" 5Ks. I had no idea they hurt so much.

Andra is adorable in the picture. She looks like a "lady who lunches." So sophisticated.

Aron said...

congrats girl!!!! awesome job :) love the pic too - she is adorable!

X-Country2 said...

Great job mama! And a cute kid to boot!

Debs M-C said...

Outstanding! I haven't run a 5K for years and you've inspired me. I always think shorter races are harder as they are so frantic. Well done.