Thursday, November 06, 2008

All clear

At school this week some girls I had in class 2 and 3 years ago saw me in the hall and in the way only teenage girls can, squealed "Oh my god, you're pregnant!" It's actually been kind of funny, often kids I've had in the past (I teach all freshmen) will see me in the hall, and although some still say hi, most pretend not to know who I am (even the ones who genuinely liked me when I was their teacher!). Lately, a lot more are "remembering" me and even starting conversations, usually about my being pregnant. Nice as that is, now the trouble is I have to try to remember their names...

Went to the doctor today, everything is still the same, had an ultrasound and the kid is estimated to be int he 67th % at weighing around 5.5 pounds. That's a little weird...I mean, that's like...baby sized or something. I also got a read on her position, so when I sit here watching my entire belly move, I can with more certainly distinguish the butt from the feet, from the hands (which are the things that are tickling my right hip bone...weird!).

And the doctor seems satisfied that we're out of the woods. "I'm not an alarmist," he said. And, "You can relax now...just don't go crazy." I was thinking, "No, YOU can relax, I've been relaxed!" So, since I had my stuff in the car just in case, I went right to the gym. I'd done 3 miles on the elliptical Tuesday and lifted a little. Today I did 2 miles on the elliptical (under a 9:30 pace, though I don't know if that's really at all comparable to the treadmill...felt way easier) and then 1 mile on the treadmill. I ran .25 miles, twice. Running still feels normal and good. Still, I didn't want to push it. But I did want to know that I could still do it. I suspect that I will start re-incorporating a little bit, in short increments (oooh, maybe I'll run a whole mile again before giving birth!), as long as it still feels fine. I guess I am/was a little worried, but...well, a couple more weeks and there'll be no reason not to do as much as I want. Except the closer it gets (6 weeks and 2 days til due date!), the more I'm thinking I'm in no hurry...

8 comments:

N.D. said...

I'm a hurry now. I want little baby out to play !!! Glad everything is going well! Good job on the running and elliptical! Isn't it funny how some kids at school will say hi and others blatantly pass without looking at you or acknowledging? Are your kids at your school good kids? I have a bunch of overprivileged ones that need a slap : )

Michelle Simmons said...

You know that your students now know that their teacher has... OMG... sex... ;)
Glad you're feeling good. I think at 36 weeks was when I was really feeling out of the woods and cranked up the volume on my swimming, elliptical, and walking... Every bit you do now contributes to how strong you'll feel in the weeks after you deliver!

H said...

Ha! That happened to me... was so ready, and then as it got close, and everyone started saying they bet I was ready, I was like, nah, no rush. It helped that I was still running several miles several days a week and was concerned about whether I'd have time to run at all afterwards.

X-Country2 said...

I always assumed that if I could remember a teacher's name that they should remember MY name. Guess it doesn't work like that afterall. :o)

RunningMama said...

Yeah!!!!

Michelle Simmons said...

About the bleeding- it wasn't so bad for me. Lasted about a week and now it's just more like a light blood tinged discharge (sorry if TMI!)... The doc gave me some pitocin after I delivered Moana (I didn't get it before she was born- only after to help my uterus contract and deliver the placenta). Apparently the pitocin causes your cervix to close up in a matter of hours rather than weeks so I don't know if that's why my bleeding was so short? Regardless, the pitocin didn't hurt a bit when I got it so maybe its something to ask your MD about? Worked for me and I'm thrilled to be out exercising sooner rather than later! :)

Mnowac said...

You have a baby sized baby in there!!!!

Yeah, I have a bella band, I love it. But it's the thighs on my pants that have gotten too tight unfortunately. Boo.

Aron said...

ohhh its getting so close!!! glad things are going well.. she will be here before you know it!