Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Why swimming is hard

I keep trying, and I will continue to do so, but this is not getting easier. Maybe it didn't help that this week I didn't make it to the pool on my own at all. But even so....UGH. Tonight was 2700 yards. I managed to do 2600 before the pool closed and they kicked us out, so I only missed the 100 cool down. And I wasn't the only one who didn't quite finish, plus there was a Tuesday guy in my lane (yes, the slow lane) who only was doing 2100. At one point I thought I was doing ok, and the coach said to me, you've almost got it, but for the next 2 laps have your hands touch every stroke. We've done this, and IT SUCKS. I went from being ok (meaning heart rate under control and not panicking about lack of air) to tensing up, feeling like I was stopping dead in the water after every stroke, and having my shoulders and lower back get so tired from trying not to sink (because I felt like I was stopped dead in the water), and gasping for air. Then we had to do some 25s all out, and I loved those, because when I go fast, for sch a short distance, it all comes together. But when I have to do a longer set, I have to slow way down to make it, and feel like I'm working way harder than if I just swam my own way. I guess it just will take more time. The very last 300, it actually did come together, but it's so fleeting!

The ankle doesn't do well being in the same pointed position for so long, and at the end of a set when I rest it takes a while to even put weight on that foot. Looked ridiculous when I got out of the pool, could not walk without a hugely noticeable limp. But I did get my orthotics today. Will take a week or so to break them in. I don't expect to be able to run for a few months, that's just the way the RA is, but it would be nice to walk without pain. Hopefully it will stabilize soon, or I may decide to go for the cortisone shot by June. At any rate, Fred and I signed up for the California Coast Classic so I'll be focusing on riding soon.

4 comments:

Michelle Simmons said...

Good job on getting through 2600! That's a lot! That said, frequency is the key to swimming... Meaning you'll get it quicker if you go to the pool more often... Shorter swims more often will be more beneficial. And yes, the drills can be frustrating. That catch-up drill (where your hands touch out front) is one of my favorites, but yes, it doesalow you way down. The key is to *roll* side to side as you're pulling with the one arm. Try exaggerating the roll next time and see if that helps. :)

RunningMama said...

Maybe swimming is like returning to the track. I remember when I first started at the track and felt like a total loser b/c I couldn't keep up with everyone. Two months later I was at the front of the pack. I know swimming is more technique oriented than running...but maybe...

Hope the orthodics help!

N.D. said...

you are doing great! remember that you are just starting out!

Angela and David said...

The swimming will come along, but it takes FOREVER. Trust me, I've been where you are, and it's a slow process but gradually it happens. Because swimming is so form focused, it's not like running or biking where you see results just from hard work. Swimming requires patience.

Hope the orthotics help!