Sunday, June 27, 2010

I didn't win!!

This was a great race! I think I feel so good about it because I came in 5/6 in the aquabike division...meaning there was good competition! Including someone I swam with in the master's class. Not sure why she didn't run, I think she just isn't much of a runner. But she was the fastest swimmer in the group (male or female) so I knew she at least would be tough to beat (I didn't know much about her cycling other than I was faster, but didn't know if it would be enough to offset the swim). She ended up beating me by 2 minutes and 13 seconds! The 5 minutes faster she swam* wasn't enough for the 3 minutes I beat her on the bike. That, plus there were 3 other faster (and one slower, though not by much) women aquabikers.

*The swim...can you call it a swim if you have to RUN to the first buoy (and partway to the second)? Can you say LOW TIDE? Ouch. If my ankle wasn't enough to make me unhappy that the swim included a run, the oyster shells on the slimy, muddy bottom of Long Island Sound was. So, I was at a bit of a disadvantage there, but...who cares. After I could actually swim, it wasn't bad. Took a while to get used to the nasty salt water (and sulfur smell that accompanies low tide around here) but the temperature was perfect (71F), there was a lot of room to spread out, and even if I am not fast, I am steady. Felt good. 30:51.

T1. 4:18. Of course it includes the long walk to my bike that everyone else can run, and my wetsuit came off easier than last time, so...whatever.

Bike. Let's start with the flat tire I got while pumping up my tires at 5am. Luckily, still at home. Got my husband out of bed to change it for me...it was the rear tire, plus it's been 2 years since I've changed one. Despite his broken collar bone (crash 3 weeks ago), he was still way faster than I ever would have been. So with everything good bike wise, I went out to have FUN. I decided that swimming was survival, biking was fun, and running (when I did it) was WORK. So, I can't work anymore...better that than not being able to have FUN! It was a tough course, though not as tough as the one a few weeks ago. I did manage to slow down to a whopping 4.2mph on one steep hill that WOULD NOT END. I still passed 2 people at that speed...go figure! And there were a lot of false flats...like, I would be dying and going so slowly, then it would turn into an actual hill and I would speed up and feel better. 17.5 average speed for the 24.8 miles.

That's it! Anyway, it was fun. Phew.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a hoot, Clare! I'm glad you had such a good time competing -- and being satisfied with how you did. Next time you do one of these I'll bet you'll be right up there with the fastest swimmers -- and maybe beat the bikers.

Enjoy what's left of the weekend!
-Wren

jsmarslender said...

Sounds like a good race! : )

N.D. said...

I'm glad you had some good competion out there Clare!

X-Country2 said...

Great race!

Angela and David said...

Congrats! Glad you had fun!

Kirsten Schultz said...

Leapin' lizards! I'm amazed that you're able to race with your RA. Congratulations on your race and good luck on the next one!

Also, I nominated you for the One Lovely Blog award:

http://notstandingstillsdisease.blogspot.com/2010/07/one-lovely-blog.html

Nitsirk said...

Congrats, glad you had a good race. Can I borrow your mom for a week ;) ? I have never washed my windows and have been in my house for 2 years.